Time and time again, online marketing experts stress the value of a well-optimised website and content. For most resort operators, Search Engine Optimisation (SEO) may be something too technical that they would rather stick to other online marketing channels.
But the importance of SEO cannot be overemphasised as it helps generate more traffic by improving the visibility of a website to the public. Increased traffic to any website means that more and more people are visiting that particular site which naturally increases the popularity of that website.
If you’re struggling with SEO, here are 5 ways on how you can optimise better.
1) Take a Look at Your Competitors’ Keywords
Checking out your competitors keywords may help you discover your own. If their SEO is successful, then you have a model to follow. If their SEO isn’t working, then this is a great place to learn from their mistakes.
Look at the keywords they use in their title tags and take note of the particular words they’re using. Search engines make it easier to find your page if your keywords are being used in the title page.
2) Pay Attention to Your MozRank
SEOmoz has a tool called LinkScape that calculates your MozRank. MozRank is a great metric that evaluates the QUALITY of your incoming links. (Most link assessment tools only focus on quantity). If you have more links than your competitors but they’re ranking above you, you should compare your MozRank to theirs; maybe your competitor has fewer links but they are BETTER than yours.
If your MozRank is higher, you have more links than them, and they still rank above you, then you probably have an issue with the lack of keywords in the anchor texts of your incoming links.
3) Get a Double Listing
A double listing (or indented listing) can sky-rocket your click-through-rate (CTR)! How you can get a double listing?
* You need two pages of your site on the same page of Google results. For example, let’s say you have a page A and page B. Page A ranks #4 on Google for “infinity pool” and Page B ranks #15 for the same keyword.
o You need to take page B from position 15 (second page of Google) to position 10 (first page of Google) so pages A and B are on the first page of Google.
* Perform this Google search to find out what 2 pages Google finds most relevant to a given keyword: site:yoursite.com [keyword].
* Now that you know what 2 pages are the most relevant for that keyword, use the SEO Rank Checker Tool to find out the Google rankings for those pages.
* Optimize pages A and B for your keyword. Link to page B from page A and vice versa using the keyword you want to rank for in the anchor text of the links.
* Get some keyword-rich links from external sites to pages A and B.
4) Use Google to Get Keyword Suggestions
Start typing your main keyword in the Google search box and get ideas for keywords. For a more detailed keyword research use the Google Keyword Tool. You can also search for keywords using Fly Wheel found on the Google results page. Try searching for Gold Coast accommodation and on the left menu, select Fly Wheel.
5) Use Google Webmaster Tools
You really have no excuse not to use this amazing tool. These are some of the things your can do with it:
* Submit a sitemap of your site so Google knows what pages they should index.
* Tell Google what is the canonical URL you want to use (site.com or www.site.com).
* Detect issues with duplicate title tags and meta descriptions.
* See a list of URLs restricted by robots.txt.
* Detect crawlability issues.
* Find 404 error pages.
* See the most common keywords people find your site through.
* Get a list of links pointing to your site.
* Tell Google how they should index your images.